Have you ever wondered why no matter how hard you try or how many types of foundations you buy, you always end up with a heavy and thick-looking face? And yet, somehow, some people always manage to look flawless and fresh. If you’re wondering how to achieve that, the answer is simple – airbrush makeup! If you’re still not familiar with this product, now is the best time to do this! In order to help you choose the best product, we’ve explained what airbrush makeup is, how it works, and we’ve composed a list of our 5 best airbrush makeup kits.
5 Best Airbrush Makeup
Indoor Tanning Lotions
What is Airbrush Makeup?
An airbrush makeup kit consists of an airbrush gun/stylus, an air compressor, and a set of liquid foundations made strictly for airbrush use. These foundations are not the same as conventional ones. They’re much more liquid and thin so that they don’t clog the narrow airbrush needle. The foundations can usually come in three varieties: alcohol based, water based, and silicone based.
While traditional foundation requires direct contact (which can cause infections) and is applied to the skin with hands, sponges or brushes, airbrush makeup is sprayed with a so-called airbrush gun or stylus which releases the product under pressure created from a compressor.
According to makeup professionals, airbrush makeup is supposed to result in a much better application, be more natural looking, light on the face, and flawless. It promises to deliver photo-friendly results, even in HD photos and videos. For this reason, airbrush makeup has been incredibly popular for a long time in films, theater, music videos, bridal makeup, and other events that require a more professional and flawless makeup. These are only some of the many reasons why we’re all curious to see how much our look can improve by switching from traditional to airbrush makeup. Below, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about this revolutionary makeup.
Airbrush Kit Components
The airbrush gun works by loading it with your preferred foundation and then using a nozzle to spray the makeup on your face through a type of fine needle. When you’re choosing an airbrush gun, you have two options regarding the nozzle:
- Single action: By pressing the nozzle it releases an even amount of pigment whose strength cannot be regulated so precisely (much like any deodorant)
- Dual action: Provides much more control for applying your makeup in a professional and flawless way. You press down the nozzle for releasing air and then pull it back to release pigment. The further back you pull the stronger the pigment you’ll get.
Choosing the right airbrush compressor is extremely important in regards to the pressure you need for covering different body parts. The strength of the compressor is measured with PSI – pounds per square inch. The lower the PSI number, the more detailed application you get. Usually, the norms are:
- Compressor for your face: 30 to 40 PSI
- Compressor for your body: around 70 PSI
As we mentioned before, there are 3 types of airbrush foundations you can choose from. These are:
- Alcohol-based: only for special occasions, since the alcohol can damage your skin. Even though it can stay on your face for some days (yes, days!), it’s not recommended for everyday use.
- Water-based: might be good if you have oily skin because it usually gives a matte finish. However, if you’re aiming for a more natural look, the next one would be perfect for you.
- Silicone-based: a favorite among users! The silicone-based foundation locks in moisture and doesn’t move – it can stay perfect for hours. It gives a more natural look when compared to water-based foundations. Make sure to test the color first, because it might get darker as the skin absorbs it.
CAUTION: Be careful not to inhale silicone makeup and hold your breath while you’re spraying it on your face.
How is Airbrush Makeup Applied?
Step 1: Moisturize your face with either your own moisturizer/primer or the one that comes with the kit.
Step 2: Turn on the compressor to your desired setting (start with lower and go up if it’s not enough).
Step 3: Fill the gun with some drops (start by 4 or 5) of your desired foundation and if necessary, put more.
Step 4: Keep the gun/stylus at about 6 inches distance from your face.
Step 5: Try to keep the gun at the same distance all the time and move it in circular motions, without stopping too long at one place.
Step 6: When you think you’ve achieved the desired coverage, move the gun away from your face and turn it off.
Step 7: Let it dry out and see if you’re satisfied with the results.
Step 8: If you’re satisfied with the foundation, move on to applying blush, bronzer or highlighter. If you need more coverage, apply a second layer of foundation once the first one is completely dry.
Step 9: Apply a setting powder or a sealant that comes with the kit.
Step 10: Enjoy your flawless face!
You can also take a look at this video instructions on how to use the airbrush for better understanding.
Add your content here...
Advantages & Disadvantages of Airbrush Makeup
- Gives a more natural look when compared to conventional makeup
- Provides a light and fresh, yet extremely polished look
- Will stay on your face much longer than traditional makeup
- The application time is much shorter (after you acquire some practice)
- The foundation layers are much thinner, and you completely avoid the “caked” look
- Blends into your skin effortlessly (when applied correctly)
- You can mix two or more different (but with the same base) foundation colors and find a perfect match
- Makes your face perfect even in HD pictures and videos
- Much better than conventional makeup when it comes to daytime events and summer days out
- Doesn’t leave any brush sweeps or sponge marks
- Safer for the skin since you won’t have any direct skin contact, so you won’t transfer any bacteria
- Might take some time to practice and adapt to the technique
- Less variety of colors and shades than conventional makeup (although by learning to mix them you can find your match)
- Could seem more expensive than traditional makeup, especially when you first buy the whole kit
- Doesn’t work well with other conventional liquid makeup products (but can be used together with powders)
- You might need some time to get used to the distance of the airbrush gun from your face (usually you should spray from about 6 inches distance or more)
After you’ve read all this and you’re equipped with all the necessary knowledge, one final and most important question remains:
What would be the best airbrush makeup kit?
According to our extensive research, a great airbrush makeup kit would have the following attributes:
- Airbrush gun with a dual-action nozzle so that you have better control over how much pigment you spray (although many single-action guns are also pretty great)
- Airbrush compressor of 30 to 40 PSIs (assuming that you use it for your face), so that you get the most flawless application
- A silicone-based (alternatively water-based) foundation of good quality
- A foundation shade that fits your skin – usually you can choose from 3 types of kits: fair skin, medium skin, and dark skin. In all of these sets, you have several types of different shades and undertones (warm to cold, neutral to olive, etc.)
- A kit that contains a cleaning solution that you should use to clean the airbrush gun after every application. This will prolong the lifespan of the tool. If a cleaning solution is not available with the kit you decide to purchase, definitely get one separately
- A kit that also contains other extra products would be best: bronzer, blush, highlighter, and primer. By having these additional airbrush products, you’ll avoid mixing conventional with airbrush makeup (which usually doesn’t work well);
These above tips are only guidelines that describe what the average user might look for in an airbrush makeup kit. However, all this can vary from one skin type to another, and it depends on many different factors. To help you even further, we’ve gathered a collection of the 5 best airbrush makeup kits that gave the most satisfaction to users!
5 Best Airbrush Makeup Kits
The Art of Air Professional Airbrush Makeup Kit is a personal favorite of many airbrush lovers! The foundations used in this kit are water-based so they won’t feel heavy on your face.
This product comes in an Ultimate Kit which offers a 6pc set for skin types from fair to medium, or in 4pc sets specifically for fair, medium, tanned, or dark skin.
As usual, the kit comes with an airbrush gun and an airbrush compressor, so it has everything you need to start immediately. Apart from these components, the Art of Air kit also comes with an anti-age primer, tropical bronzer, pink papaya blush, pearl shimmer highlighter, and an airbrush cleaning solution.
The airbrush stylus has a gravity feed, single-action air/fluid control, and a 0.4 mm tip/needle, while the airbrush compressor is filly adjustable, which gives the user the control they need over the pressure and air flow.
- The airbrush compressor is pretty quiet
- There is a wide variety of foundation colors available for every skin type
- Different colored foundations can be mixed well together
- It comes with additional makeup such as primer, blush, highlighter, and bronzer
- Water-based and light on the face
- The fully adjustable air pressure can help you control the makeup flow
- Affordable price;Has a cleaning solution included
- Might clog easily if it’s not cleaned after each use
- May require some time until the user learns and is comfortable using it properly
If you’re looking to spend a little bit more on a more professional airbrush kit, the TEMPTU 2.0 Premier Airbrush Makeup Kit might be a great product for you!
This kit comes with 12 foundations in different shades (from lightest to darkest), so it should be easy enough to find your best match.
It also comes with a cleaning solution and a cleaning kit which can be extremely useful for keeping your airbrush in a good condition. The foundations in the TEMPTU kit are silicone-based, which means they last longer and provide a great and more natural-looking coverage.
TEMPTU 2.0 Premier has a powerful compressor and an SP-40 single-action gravity feed gun which provides a steady airflow.
Even though TEMPTU is a slightly more professional and expensive kit, the downside is that it doesn’t contain any additional makeup products such as blush, highlighter or bronzer. This means that you’ll have to order these products separately. Nevertheless, our experience shows that this is a high-end product which is well-worth the investment.
All in all, if you don’t mind spending a bit more, TEMPTU might be a great choice for you.
- 12 foundations in different shades (more than other kits)
- Powerful compressor
- Great SP-40 single-action gravity feed gun
- Silicone-based foundations which last longer
- Excellent natural-looking coverage
- There is an included cleaning kit and cleaning solution
- Steady airflow which enables an even application
- A bit more expensive than others
- Doesn’t contain additional makeup products other than the foundations
The Aeroblend Airbrush Makeup kit can be purchased as a personal set in 4 different shades: light, medium, tan, and dark – each containing 5 different foundation colors ranging from neutral to olive or as a professional kit which contains 16 different foundations.
Apart from the foundations, each personal kit also contains a highlighter, a bronzer, and two blush colors. The foundations in this product are water-based, and they don’t contain any parabens, fragrance or silicone, which is great if you’re looking for a more natural makeup product.
The Aeroblend kit might be an amazing option if you have sensitive skin since it’s enriched with Avocado Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Lavender Oil, and White Tea extract.
Another great thing is that this seller promises a color match guarantee, as well as additional sample foundations at absolutely no charge. This could be a great feature if you have a more specific skin tan that isn’t easy to match.
The Aeroblend airbrush stylus has a double (dual)-action nozzle which provides more control and a better application, while its compressor is really quiet and offers 5 speed/adjustment pressure settings.
- Highly pigmented color of the foundations
- Dual-action Airbrush stylus
- Compressor is ultra-quiet and has 5 settings
- Water-based foundations
- Great for sensitive skin
- Contains many natural oils
- Doesn’t contain any parabens, fragrance or silicone
- Has a 1-year warranty
- Must be cleaned properly so that it doesn’t clog
- Could take some practice time
- A small percentage of users complained that the foundations aren’t water-proof
This fourth airbrush makeup kit of our choice contains mineral-based and water-proof foundations. You can purchase one of the two kits with 5 foundation colors – Fair to Medium or Medium to Tan, or a kit of 3 foundations in the shades Light, Medium or Tan.
The foundations in the Photo Finish kit are oil-free and without any harsh preservatives, alcohol or parabens. According to the seller, this makeup can last up to 24 hours, and it is not tested on animals so it might be a good choice for all nature lovers that prefer cruelty-free makeup.
Apart from the foundations, this kit contains an anti-aging primer, blush, concealer, highlighter, and Silica setting powder. Its Lilac Camouflage has a purple tint which might successfully cover aging signs, under eye circles and spots. The Silica setting powder is another huge plus according to users since it can help create the perfect finishing look.
The airbrush gun that comes with this kit is a single-action gravity feed gun, and the compressor has fully adjustable settings. It has a 0.3 mm needle tip which can give you a detailed, fine and mist-like application.
- Oil-free foundations that won’t clog your pores
- Compressor is fully adjustable
- Eco-friendly – doesn’t test on animals
- Long lasting foundations
- Good variety of colors and shades
- Contains extra makeup such as anti-aging primer, blush, concealer, highlighter, and Silica setting powder
- Might not provide good coverage for older skin
- Some users complained of the makeup quality
- Might clog if it’s not cleaned after every use
- Doesn’t come with a cleaning solution
Last but not least, out fifth and final chosen product is the Tickled Pink Airbrush Kit. The foundations that go with this kit are water-based, 89% organic and infused with aloe juice.
This kit has 3 pieces of foundation that can also be mixed to reach the shade you need. These come in medium shade, but you can make adjustments (only fair or only dark shades) by contacting the seller. Your choice can be: fair, light, light/medium hybrid, medium, or dark.
This kit doesn’t contain a blush, bronzer or highlighter, but it does offer a moisturizer and a great waterproof sealant which definitely comes in handy, especially during the summer season.
Another great thing that makes this product different than the others is that they offer a 2-year guarantee on the kit and a lifetime guarantee on their airbrush gun! Having this lifetime warranty on the gun/stylus is incredible since some users complained of defective guns in many different brands of airbrush kits.
The Tickled Pink Airbrush gun is a single-action gravity feed gun, and its compressor is quiet, powerful, and it has 3 settings for pressure and airflow control.
- Water-based and 89% organic foundations
- Foundations are infused with organic aloe juice
- The kit contains a moisturizer and a waterproof sealant
- The airbrush compressor is quiet and powerful
- The seller offers a 24-month guarantee on the kit
- Lifetime guarantee on the airbrush gun/stylus
- The kit contains only 3 shades of foundation
- There isn’t a blush, bronzer or highlighter included
- It doesn’t contain a cleaning solution, so it has to be bought separately
- Compressor isn’t fully adjustable and only has 3 settings
As you can see, airbrush makeup offers many different products and varieties, all depending on what your skin needs! We sincerely hope that we’ve made your job easier by choosing and describing the products above. All of them have great reviews by users, with slight differences in price, composition, and quality – and of course, the individual user’s taste. Since all choices mostly depend on taste, it can be hard to declare a winner.
However, if we had to choose a product, our research shows that the TEMPTU 2.0 Premier Airbrush Makeup Kit enjoys our vote! Even though it might be a bit more expensive than others and it doesn’t contain any additional makeup (bronzer, highlighter, blush), TEMPTU has a silicone-based makeup which we (and most users) prefer when it comes to coverage.
Furthermore, TEMPTU is great if you’re just beginning to use airbrush makeup because it contains 12 different foundation shades (others come with only 5 or 6), thus making it easier for you to mix and find your match! And finally, yet another reason why we chose this product is the fact that it contains a cleaning solution as well as its own cleaning kit.
So, if you’re willing to spend a bit more on a quality airbrush makeup, TEMPTU may be what you need.
Regardless of which product you choose, remember that this type of makeup can take some getting used to, especially if you’re a beginner. Don’t give up immediately and practice a bit more. We promise you that after a few tries, application will become easier and your makeup will look more perfect than ever!